We continue our efforts to offer services and infrastructures that respond to challenges such as Climate Change, water footprint management, energy crisis and loss of biodiversity, to create long-term value.
The recent entry into force of the Paris Agreement – the first universal agreement on Climate Change – in which the main objective is to limit global warming below 2 degrees celsius compared with pre-industrial levels, confirms the commitment of governments and the private sector to achieve a reduction of CO2 emissions that tends towards low carbon economies.
We are aware of our responsibility in this process and therefore firmly commit to the reduction of our emissions and the environmental impact of our activities. We also promote the generation of new ideas and business models to offer our customers and users innovative solutions with less impact.
Our strategy contemplates the risks and opportunities detected in each activity, which has two fundamental objectives:
- Responsible environmental impacts that occur in our activities, from an eminently preventive perspective. That perspective includes the development of actions to reduce GHG emissions.
- The use of our capacities and knowledge in the development of infrastructures and services for a low emissions economy.
Actions to Reduce Emissions
To meet this commitment, we have developed and implemented actions to reduce emissions of both a general nature and specific to each business area:
- Incorporation of energy efficiency criteria in procurement and outsourcing of services.
- Sustainable Mobility Strategy for our employees. All corporate headquarters in Spain and the United Kingdom have mobility plans.
- Improved energy efficiency in both industrial and passenger vehicle fleets.
- Use of less polluting fuels.
- Development of technology and processes to promote avoided emissions.
- Incorporation of energy efficiency measures in buildings occupied by corporate headquarters.
- Promotion of the purchase of renewable sourced energy. 68% of the electricity we consume comes from renewable sources.
Efficiency in the use of energy and natural resources, as well as the reduction of emissions and discharges, are a priority in production centers, but also a source for innovation and the development of solutions that we can offer our customers and users. In particular, energy efficiency in buildings, comprehensive city management (SmartCities) as in the case of the municipality of Torrejón de Ardoz in Madrid, Spain or the low-emission mobility that is already being developed at London’s Heathrow airport. The conservation of biodiversity is also considered a priority, supported by the best state of scientific and technical knowledge.
Click here to know more about the objectives we have in place to reduce our carbon footprint.
We are currently implementing a climate change adaptation plan for our infrastructures that complements the mitigation actions included in our climate strategy. This adaptation plan aims to identify and manage the risks and impacts of climate change on infrastructure, reducing vulnerabilities and increasing resilience.
The plan is divided into two phases:
- Identification phase: consisting of the identification of physical climate risks affecting our infrastructure, as well as the financial quantification of the impact of these risks for our company.
- Management phase, in turn divided into:
- Taking out insurance policies which, in the event of the occurrence of the risk, would cover repair costs and loss of income due to business stoppage.
- Application of preventive action, following the recommendations of CEDEX (Centro de Estudios y Experimentación de Obras Públicas). Among others: consider climate change when applying new designs, carry out preventive maintenance, implementation of resource consumption efficiency measures, etc.
- Definition of emergency plans associated with climate risks.
These analyses will be considered by the technical offices in the design process of new projects.
Climate Strategy 2020
The following graphic shows the key points of our 2020 Climate Strategy. You can access the complete strategy here.
Download Climate Strategy
Ferrovial Climate Strategy 2020 (PDF 7 MB)
Ferrovial Climate Strategy 2019 (PDF 7 MB)
Ferrovial Climate Strategy 2018 (PDF 8 MB)
Ferrovial Climate Strategy 2017 (PDF 16 MB)
Carbon footprint 2016 (PDF 6 MB)
Carbon footprint 2015 (PDF 9 MB)
Carbon footprint 2014 (PDF 9 MB)
Carbon footprint 2013 (PDF 4 MB)
Carbon footprint 2012 (PDF 4 MB)
Carbon footprint 2011 (PDF 5 MB)
CDP Climate change 2019 (PDF 893 KB)
We have global targets in the plan Horizon 2030
Consult the Fact Sheet
Below you will find information about the projects in which we incorporate specific environmental measures to reduce the impact of climate change.