Patrol Maintenance Technician – Kanata, Ottawa, Canada Ref: USA00508
Ferrovial Services North America is a leading company providing Oil & Gas and Infrastructure solutions across the United States and Canada. Its portfolio includes 35 outstanding contracts, such as Port Miami Tunnel and maintenance of the Chevron refineries in California. With more than 1,500 employees and a presence in 14 states, Ferrovial Services North America, generates true value and growth for its clients while maintaining a strong commitment to safety and social responsibility.
Responsible for maintaining contracted assets (roadways, medians, signs, guardrails, fences, bridges, tunnels, vegetation, etc.) per standards and conditions specified in the contract as directed by the Patrol Supervisor.
This position is currently subject to negotiations to be a bargaining unit position represented by OPSEU
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing duties of shift supervisor during winter maintenance season.
- Assisting supervisor in/or completing, as directed, the organizing/planning of work to be carried out
- Organizing work activities by arranging appropriate equipment, material /labor.
- Overseeing work operations insuring value for money is being achieved and the work is being performed in accordance with recognized safety requirements, standards, policies and procedures.
- Providing leadership and training to junior Ferrovial Services staff, including instructions on safety
- Completing, reviewing and maintaining a variety of records, covering work activities related to equipment operation and maintenance hours of work, and material usage (e.g. MMIS, daily inspection books, equipment time sheets, expense forms and reports on sand and salt usage/vehicle accidents/personal injury, etc.)
- Providing information for analysis of contractor or public claims.
- Liaising with property owners, the general public and individuals from organizations such as police, municipal and other Ontario Government Ministries, and utility companies for the purpose of exchanging information, promoting and maintaining good public relations and as applicable, ensuring compliance with Ministry and Ferrovial Services requirements.
- Occasionally may operate patrol equipment when deemed necessary for efficient operations
- Occasionally may carry out a variety of laboring tasks when deemed necessary for efficient operations.
- Acting for supervisor during absences.
- Compiling and recording information for the Highway and Road inventory (e.g. number of entrances, bridges, kilometres of road, mowable hectares, etc.)
- Investigating, reporting on and, when possible, resolving complaints from the public and others.
- Patrolling road as assigned and reporting hazards and/or deficiencies.
- Initiating Contract staff call-outs and administering hired equipment tenders.
- Responding on behalf of the Ministry and Ferrovial Services in emergency circumstances
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of summer and winter maintenance operations and the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to maintenance activities.
- Working knowledge of maintenance and maintenance related construction contracts and agreements. Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs. Good verbal communication skills, effective written communication skills to prepare reports, recommendations and rationale statements.
- Requires work to be performed with minimal supervision (follow up and periodic check in with supervisor to ensure that work as directed or needed is completed in accordance with policy); as direct supervisor is not present. There is some freedom to change work methods and priorities as these develop without prior approval of the supervisor, especially during winter maintenance activities when road conditions can change rapidly.
- Working knowledge of the environment and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
- Highly developed sense of safety awareness and perceptive ability.
- Ability to recognize hazards inherent in routine and non-routine tasks and make adjustments to avoid loss, injury or accident.
- Ability to communicate safety instructions with co-workers.
- Ability to think clearly and focus on your safety in your immediate surroundings, while using tools and equipment, while driving or operating equipment.
- Will be required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to your job.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma (Required)
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in construction, road maintenance, commercial/industry repair, maintenance or landscaping (outdoor work) (Preferred)
- This position requires you to maintain a Valid Ontario Class “DZ” Driver’s License and MTO Operator’s Permit, and acceptable driving record.
Work Conditions / Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely exposed to outside weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high precarious places; fume or airborne particles. Frequent exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, frequent exposure to insects and infrequent exposure to reptiles/rodents.
- The noise level in the work environment usually moderate but on occasion can more than moderate, particularly outdoors.
Other duties (not listed) may be assigned to this job at any time.
Safety comes first! Required to complete work in a safe, efficient and accurate manner.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must demonstrate Ferrovial Values: Respect, Integrity, Collaboration, Excellence and Innovation.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – M/W/V/D
Should a review of your background indicate a potential match to our job, our team will reach out.
We do not accept resumes from external staffing agencies or independent recruiters for any of our openings unless otherwise directed by our HR – Recruiting Department. Please do not forward resumes to our hiring managers or regional offices. Ferrovial Services N.A., is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
Publicada el 19-08-2019
Área funcional: Skilled Trade/Field
Tipo de contrato: Indefinido