Webber and TxDOT partnered together to transform 5.8 miles of the former turnpike landscape into a modern Texas highway. The “Three Bridges Project” improved the traffic flow and access opportunities from IH 30 to the Arlington Entertainment District.
Improvements include the provision of additional freeway lanes, two new bridges, two replacement bridges, turn-arounds, continuous frontage roads and a high occupancy vehicle lane. Thanks to the collaboration with local communities, agencies and TxDOT, the partnership succeeded in opening the project prior to the World Series and Super Bowl XLV. It was on budget with a $3.2 million savings that was reapplied to the project.
In October 2011, Webber was awarded a Texas Project Award from the Fort Worth District, recognizing the hard work and dedication it took to complete this high-profile project under budget and ahead of schedule.
- Continuous one-way frontage road
- Rebuilt main lanes; depressing the highway
- Constructed new seven lane bridge structure
- Reconstructed an existing eight lane bridge
- Dropped six main lanes below grade, allowing for shorter bridge spans and a reduction in need for ROW
- High-profile construction. Very heavy traffic volumes
- Safety concerns with existing conditions
- Maintenance of traffic
- Accelerated project delivery Schedule
- Close coordination required by TxDOT District and Area Office