The environmental and social challenges brought on by climate change require an effective, multi-faceted response.
Here at Ferrovial, we make an effort to offer services and infrastructures that find a solution to the energy crisis, contribute to efficient water footprint management, encourage reuse and recycling, and lead towards the decarbonization of the economy.
Promoting a low-carbon economy and the efficient use of natural resources contributes to reducing the environmental impact we, our users and our customers have. Therefore, with this objective in mind, we are working to incorporate circular economy principles in all our processes, products and services.
Examples of a Circular Economy
Reducing the use of non-renewable resources, reusing waste (such as raw materials), recycling, incorporating eco-design criteria to our processes and raising awareness around these issues are our top priorities. We are working on various projects that follow these principles:
- Reduce the amount of waste that we send to the landfill to zero with the project Zero Waste to Landfill, which we are developing in collaboration with Ford.
- Transform the biogas generated during waste treatment into biomethane, the main component of natural gas, which is used to generate electricity and heat.
- Make advances in the development of perpetual pavements by improving bitumen and bituminous binders.
- Obtain recycled fibers from material construction waste with the HorBran Project to encourage the use of recycled materials in construction.
- Innovate in obtaining biopolymer plastics from renewable sources using the sludge from wastewater treatment within the framework of the B-PLAS DEMO project.
Waste Management and Sustainable Materials
We have designated environmental performance as one of our priorities.