Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on 22 February, 2023
Ferrovial Construction is internationally recognized for its capacity to design and build civil engineering and construction projects, mainly in large transportation infrastructure. Its track-record to date includes more than 490 km of tunnels, 19,200 km of roads (including 4,000 km of highways), 4,700 km of railroad lines (including 700 km of high-speed railroads) and 27,350 km of road maintenance and repair.
Ontario Line South
Ferrovial Construction Canada Inc. and VINCI Construction Grands Projects are to design, build and finance the Ontario Line Southern Civil, Stations and Tunnel (South Civil) package.
Working together as Ontario Transit Group we are currently mobilizing our design and construction crews, with major works to commence in 2023. The South Civil contract is anticipated to be completed in 2030.
The project will strengthen Ontario’s economy by supporting an estimated 1,500 jobs at the peak of construction.
What is the project?
- A six-kilometer tunnel and associated tunnelling works from Exhibition to Don Yard portal (west of the Don River)
- One above-ground station to be integrated with the existing GO Transit Exhibition Station
- Two underground stations to be integrated with the existing TTC Osgoode and Queen subway stations
- Four new underground stations (King/Bathurst, Queen/Spadina, Moss Park, Corktown)
The benefits to Ontario!
Faster, more frequent and reliable access to rapid transit with more than 227,500 people will live within a 10-minute walk of an Ontario Line station
- Improve the quality of life for commuters by reducing daily travel time
- Reduce crowding on the existing Line 1 (Yonge-University) subway
- Up to 57,000 more jobs accessible by transit (in 45 minutes or less) for Toronto residents
- Economic and community growth along the future transit line and thousands of job opportunities annually during construction
- Reduction in traffic congestion, greenhouse gases and fuel consumption by providing an alternative transportation option
Mechanical Design Engineer – Are you the perfect fit?
What you will undertake:
- Coordinate with the Designers, review the design consultant’s submissions as per the contract requirements included constructability, commissionability, maintainability and budget targets and issues document check sheets
- Coordinate with other discipline representatives
- Manage the interface between the design consultants and suppliers
- Review and approve requests relating to design input (RFI, clarification, design change request etc.) issued by the designers
- With the support of the stakeholder management department, perform all necessary liaison work with local statutory Authorities
- With the support of the Interfaces management department, manage and coordinate the technical interfaces between his work package and the scope of work of others (both with regards to Internal interfaces e.g electrical, architecture…and external interfaces e.g Rolling stocks, railway systems…)
- Establish a detailed time schedule of his work package to fit within the design programme and with sufficient lead time for procurement and installation
- Lead Design coordination meeting, technical workshops with designers, Client’s Engineer representative and issue minutes of meetings
- Take part in project management reviews as required
- Participate in SiD process (Safety in Design)
- Participate in the setting up of the QA procedures for control of design and control of documents
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date library of design codes, standards, statutory and local regulations applicable to the project in relation to his work package.
- Follow-up and report on the progress of his work package
- Is involved in and implement procurement strategy
- In coordination with the procurement department, prepare the relevant technical documents (specifications, drawings, schedules, scope of work…) required for tenders of suppliers and sub-contractors
- Review and approve tenderers and suppliers’ proposals
- Coordinate and review factory acceptance testing procedure
- Review and approve purchase requisitions for material/equipment to be incorporated
- Review and follow up the non-conformance reports transmitted to suppliers and sub-contractors
- Follow-up and report on the progress of his work package
Post Design activities and Construction stage:
- Issue technical and design documentation for execution following approval from the Employer
- Coordinate and review shop drawings prepared by sub-contractors and issues documents check sheets
- Coordinate in house shop drawings preparation as required
- Manage the interface between suppliers and sub-contractors
- Review the construction procedure and installation methods prepared by the MEP sub-contractors
- Review and approved Field change request submitted by production team
- Assist in resolving any non-conformance issues opened by the QA Manager relevant to his work package
- Support preparation and review testing and commissioning procedures
- Set up the final documentation for project handover (as-built packages)
- Make a commitment to achieve the objectives defined in the Company policy.
- Respect all the procedures relating to the position.
- Share and feed-back non-compliance, complaints of the customers, preventive actions and ideas of improvement.
- Contribute to promote the brand image of the company.
- Keep a lid on company’s information
Health, Safety and Environment duties
- Respect safety instructions
- Report any unsafe situation
- Promote the 4R concept: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Recover
- Preserve water and energy resources at office and sites
What do we ask for?
Education and experience
- Master’s degree of Engineering in Mechanical or equivalent
- 10 years in experience on major MEP works project (preferably with experiences in Railway projects, underground stations)
- Knowledges of Railway projects standards applicable to tunnels and underground stations (NFPA 130) and local standards.
- Experience in design developed in BIM
Key Skills and Knowledge
- Good presentation & communication
- Problem solving and result oriented
- Safety Committed
- Leadership (Team, target)
#ferrovialconstruction #Canada #entrylevel
Drainage Design Engineer - Ontario Line SouthOntario, Canada Full time Technical Office Posted on 27 March, 2023
Mechanical Plumbing Engineer - Ontario Line SouthOntario, Canada Full time Technical Office Posted on 10 March, 2023
Assistant Design Manager - Ontario Line SouthOntario, Canada Full time Technical Office Posted on 10 March, 2023
Electrical Design Engineer - Ontario Line SouthOntario, Canada Full time Technical Office Posted on 10 March, 2023
If you do not find a suited job you can send us your cv and we will get in touch